Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Enter the Dragonfruit



I made a quick stop into a supermarket the other day.  I tend to get most of my food from farmers' markets, but I only needed a couple of things and, well, they don't have farmers' markets at 10PM.  Wandering through the produce section, I found a strange looking fruit, the dragonfruit.  It was marked 'locally grown,' so I gave it a go.

The first thing you'll notice about the dragonfruit is it's amazing shape.  It's a cactus fruit, and it looks fairly similar to the prickly pear.  A prickly pair with crazy leaf-like soft scales growing from it.  The color is a soft magenta, with green highlights.  It's unique, that's for sure.


Splitting the fruit in half, I was amazed by the bright magenta color of the inside.  The small black seeds contrast with the thrilling magenta.  Cut open, it's one of the most beautiful fruits I've ever seen.  The subtle pumpkin-like smell wasn't terribly pleasing, but the visual was. Other varieties have a creamy white interior.

Dragonfruit tastes like a softer version of the kiwi-melon chewing gum you might have tried.  The flavor is really subtle.  The texture is similar to a kiwi.  Overall, I'd say looks trump eats on this one.  Not crazy amazing.

The dragonfruit, also known as a pitaya, is rich in vitamin C & fibre, and it's a decent source of phosphorus and calcium.  The one I bought was very expensive, $12.99/pound.  I wouldn't get another one at that price, but I'd try it again if I found a less expensive one.

2 comments:

PaTan said...

For the best Dragon fruit color of inside should be "white" color are great taste more then pink color and a little bigger. And I agree they rich in vitamin C and fibre. In Thailand 1 kg roundly 35 ฿ or less. About 3 of them you will get for 1 kg. ;)

Hal B said...

Thanks for the tip! I'll have to try to find a white one!