Friday, April 11, 2008

Thoughts on Pho

I was planning on eating lunch today at a wonderful little place called Oinkster. However, it was quite gloomy today in Los Angeles, and it seemed like soup was a better option for lunch. There is a Vietnamese place across the street, and I decided to hop in.

I always thought that the chicken soup of my people, the Jews, was the best there is. Earthy, filled with root vegetables, it hits the spot for whatever ails you. Today, though, my mind might have changed about the perfect chicken soup.

Pho is simply magnificent. A light chicken stock, enhanced with ginger, cilantro, basil, lime. The flavors, which play well and balance each other, are uplifting. I found myself smiling with every slurp. It's also very relaxing. Eating it forces you to slow down- in order to get the long rice noodles, one uses chopsticks (or a fork- really, I think it's a superior device), and there are only so many you can get at a time. It's impossible to eat pho fast.

Don't be surprised if I post about making pho soon!

1 comment:

Rasquachi said...

Next time, try Pho Tai-- beef broth, with paper-thin slices of raw beef which cook in your broth as it's brought to your table. Even better than the chicken, IMHO. And I know from Pho... it might be my favorite food!