Friday, June 6, 2008

Idea: Grow Something



I'm not sure how it happened, but I'm growing a garden.  It's become a little bit of an obsession, in fact.  Even though my brain knows that nothing dramatic has changed with the snow peas in the last three hours, I'll check them anyway.  I'm giddy when the dragon carrots grow new leaves.  (The dragon carrots are going to be purple!)

Now, I'm not saying get out your shovel and build a garden.  You can, and it's rewarding.  It's also a lot of work.  To walk an easier line, just grow a few things in a pot.  Just about any herb grows well.  Peppers, eggplants, bush beans, and lettuce will do great.  Even many varieties of tomato rock the container.

The great thing about doing this is that you'll have a quick bit of killer flavor at your fingertips.  Need to perk up a sauce, snip a little thyme.  Vegetables that you grow yourself will taste immeasurably better than the ones at the supermarket.  You don't even need outdoor space.  A spot by a sunny window will work just fine!

So do this.  Head to your local garden center.  Tell a helpful helper that you'd like to do a little container gardening.   They'll ask you about what you want to grow and how much space you have, and set you up with some seedlings!

Fair warning- the more you grow, the more you'll want to grow.  Trust me!

I've been taking pictures of my garden as it grows, success and failure.  Check it out.

No comments: