Friday, June 20, 2008

Idea: Don't Worry About Perfection



There are a lot of resources that will tell you how to perfectly cook an egg, or will show you the only way to roast a chicken. Well, I say balderdash.

Look, at the end of the day, eating good food is about what tastes good to you. Perhaps you've noticed my recipes specify things like 3-4 cloves of garlic. That's because there is no right answer. There's a ballpark you need to be in, but maybe you don't love garlic as much as I do. So put in less. It's alright.

The omelet pictured above was made at 2:30AM. I was hammered. I wanted eggs. I didn't think about setting the pan just right, adding the perfect amount of cream, lovingly flipping it over. I had some good cheese and leftover bacon, threw it in there, and scrambled it up. And, my oh my, it was great.

I write this because I feel that a lot of people are intimidated into thinking they can't cook because they don't have the perfect technique. Well don't stress it my friends, you can do it too. The more you cook, the more you'll learn what tastes right together for you.

There is an exception to this: do worry about perfection in the ingredients you use. Buy fruits in season. Get grass fed beef. If you do, the rest is easy.





No comments: