Monday, January 19, 2009

The Awesomeness of Youth : Amore Pizza



There are certain places that will always knock our culinary socks off.  The places of our youth.  They might not be the greatest in objective terms, but, in the part of our belly that remembers everything, they will always be the best.  My last visit to New York (and indeed again this time), I drove to my old home town to eat at Mandarin.  This time, through lucky circumstance, I was able to stuff myself at Amore Pizza, the first pizza joint I ever went to.

After wrapping a day on Stuck, I was being driven back to Manhattan by one of the crew dudes.  We had to drop someone off in Queens, and, as we drove, I realized we were going to pass Amore.  It didn't take much convincing to have the driver make a stop, he's a pizza fan himself.

Amore has been around since 1975, but it's history goes deeper.  It began as Gloria's Pizza in downtown Flushing, and has been owned by the same people throughout it's history.  The owners, though retired, still visit often, and the place is now run by their sons.  Speaking of sons, I'm not the first Klein to have a deep love of Amore.  Gloria's (then Amore) was the pizza of my father's youth, too.  History runs deep.

Amore serves both slices and whole pies, as well as an assortment of other Italian-American entrees.  The pizza is the epitome of New York style- fairly thin crust with a chew, simple tomato sauce, and fat filled cheese that drips down to your elbows.  Pat off the excess oil at your own risk!  It's of the gas oven variety, not to be confused with the charred crust of the brick/coal oven.

I'm not sure if I can step away and rate this place.  Luckily, I've been there with a few people who didn't grow up with it, and they all agree- Amore Pizza is worth the trip to Flushing!

Amore Pizza is located in the Pathmark shopping center, down the street from Whitestone Bowl.  Visit them online at amorepizza.org

1 comment:

G. C. said...

Amore pizza is beautiful. Perhaps the best "by the slice" pizza in New York.