Monday, January 26, 2009

Quaker True Delights



I was given the opportunity to sample Quaker's new granola bars, True Delights, this weekend.  The bars were sent to me via Foodbuzz, as a free test sample.  I will do my best to balance my love of free stuff with a fair report.  Bars come in 3 flavors.

Dark Chocolate Raspberry Almond: Very good!  The balance between sweet/bitter/nutty/fruity was really nice.  Dark chocolate nibs add both a deep flavor and nice texture contrast.  Could use a few more almonds.

Toasted Coconut Banana Macadamia Nut: Toasted flavor is great.  It reminds me of eating breakfast.  Very satisfying.  Less sweet tasting than the other bars.

Honey Roasted Cashew Mixed Berry: It's a little too sweet.  Not
by much, but enough.  (Reading the label shows that, indeed, it
contains 2g more sugar than the other flavors.)  I think the lack of
cashews throws off the balance.  Good flavor mix, but I really only
enjoyed the first 2 bites.

The specific nut/berry/fruit mixture for each bar is added on top instead of being blended in.  There could also be a little more of it, especially when it comes to nuts.  Sourcing information for ingredients is not available. 

Overall, Quaker does a pretty good job with these bars.  They're probably the best mass produced granola bars on the market.  Recommended for an occasional snack, especially if you're in an area where a (tasty) locally produced bar isn't available. 

No comments: