Thursday, January 15, 2009

Pollos El Paisa



It always amazes me how you can find the most wonderful food in the most unnoticed of places.  I'm shooting a film on Long Island, and, on the way home, the director asked me if I liked Colombian food.  I told him I'd never tried it, but I was ready to change that.  So we headed to Pollos El Paisa in Levittown New York.

I was hit by the wonderful smell of roasted meat when I entered.  The place was packed.  The diners diverse.  Good signs indeed.



My main course was a marinated and grilled skirt steak, served sizzling on a cast iron skillet.  It was, well, perfect.  The outside charred to a brilliant mahogany, the inside pink.  It was mildly spiced, the mix of fat and flavor in wonderful harmony.  The steak was served with a sauce that was similar to the Argentinian chimchurri, with chopped onions and roasted red bell pepper substituting for garlic and hot pepper.  Buttered rice and fried cassava were served on the side.  I also had a crazy tasty guanabana (sour sop) juice.  Man, this was one belly-rubbing meal.

Good Food is everywhere.  You can, and should (!) make it yourself.  You can also follow someone's lead, and find it in places you'd never expect.

No comments: