Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Nature's Pride Meets Toasty Goodness


My friends at Foodbuzz sent me a few loaves of Nature's Pride bread. I am not a fan of commercial sliced bread, as it is usually filled with chemicals, filler, and air. So I was prepared to write a nasty "worst thing since sliced bread" review. Much to my surprise, I actually really enjoyed the bread- especially the 100% Whole Wheat.

Nature's Pride bread manages to maintain decent shelf life stability (it kept fresh in my pantry for one week), without the addition of preservatives and stabilizers. There is a subtle sweetness to the bread, achieved with only 4g sugar (sugar, honey, brown sugar, molasses, and concentrated raisin juice form the sugar blend). A touch of vinegar balances the sweetness, and helps bring out the great malty flavor of the wheat.

Best of all, the slices are generously thick, without being too overwhelming. In fact, they are the perfect thickness for a toasty sandwich. So, Nature's Pride 100% Whole Wheat...meet my favorite open faced sandwich:

To build the sandwich, layer:
One Slice Nature's Pride 100% Whole Wheat
Spicy Apricot Dippin' Sauce
2 Slices Rosemary Ham
1-2 Slices Swiss Cheese
Dijon Mustard
2 Slices Rosemary Ham
Grated Parmegiano Reggiano Chese

Toast until cheese begins to brown, about 6 minutes.

*I was also given a sample of the 12 Grain bread. The flavor was nice. However, I'm not a big fan of bits of seed and grain in my bread. If you like that sort of thing, go for it. I'll stick with the smooth bread.

*Interstate Bakeries, the owners of Nature's Pride, also make Wonder Bread. Wonder Bread, of course, is the bread that's most symbolic of the collapse of good bread in America. Strange. But impressive. This represents a step in the right direction; A massive (often low quality) bread company introducing a line of bread with high quality ingredients will allow more people to have the choice to eat Good Food. That's the key- the choice. You need to read the labels, and choose bread made with wholesome ingredients.

No comments: