Monday, May 12, 2008

Failure: A Tale of Two Pizza Attempts


I've made two tries at pizza so far.  Both, sadly, ended in failure.

So here's the plan.  My goal is to re-create a coal fired oven on my grill/smoker.  The combination of hot coal, smoke, and stone should produce a great crust.  The right sauce and cheese will do the rest.



Each time I followed the same process.  I started with Trader Joe's pre-made dough.  Why go through the trouble of making dough, eh?  Eventually, I'll have a stab, but this stuff seems to work really well.  I let it rest, floured it, and rolled/stretched it till quite thin.  It went rectangle, which is easier to do than round!  I rubbed the dough with olive oil and garlic.  Found some nice pizza sauce at Whole Foods, and used whole milk mozzarella.  So far, great.

Then things go downhill...

My first attempt was with a traditional pizza stone.  The coals were hot, I put the stone on the rack, and, snap, it split.  Easy enough to push it together, but, a bad sign!  The pizza was tricky (tricky tricky) to get onto the stone, somehow I managed.  I lowered the cover, came back 3 minutes later, and the crust was...solid black.  Burnt.  Took it inside, scraped off the burnt bottom.  The flavor was promising, but, it was way too burnt.

Next attempt was with real bricks.  Same process.  This time, instead of burning in 3 minutes, it took 45 minutes to even begin to cook the crust.  Perhaps the fire wasn't hot enough, maybe the bricks didn't conduct the heat well.  Inedible.  

Let's hope for third time lucky.  I'm going with the bricks again, this time with a lot more coal!





No comments: