Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Trying New Things


While in New York, I had the opportunity to feast at Bar Boulud, Daniel Boulud's latest restaurant. The executive chef, Damian Sansonetti, is a good friend of mine. The meal was amazing, and it reminded me how important it is to keep trying new things.

For someone who writes about cooking and is developing a cooking show, I grew up a surprisingly picky eater. While my palate has expanded considerably, part of me remains resistant to certain foods, namely seafood and mushrooms. Well, since my meal was being prepared by the chef, I thought it best to open my mind a bit.

My buddy Clayton B. Hodges and I were presented with a large selection of appetizers. Some, like the garlic ham, were right up my alley, but I admit to being frightened of the pates, especially the one made mostly of liver and mushroom! Well, although I might not be ordering it on my own soon, I was glad for the experience. Incidentally, my main course- duck, rhubarb, beans, leeks- was a plate I wouldn't have touched several years ago. It was wiped clean.

This brings me to the picture above. When I tell people that the "I" is a piece of pork belly, most shiver in fear. It was, quite possibly, the best single piece of pork I've had in my life. Some may cringe from mushrooms, some may cringe from pork belly. We should all take a breath and taste what we think we might not like. It's perfectly alright to not like it, as was my reaction to sweetbreads (calf thymus gland). As my mom and dad used to say, "you never know until you try."

No comments: