Thursday, May 1, 2008

Pizza


Many people have opinions on what makes a perfect pizza pie.  The great debate rages on about New York pizza versus Chicago pizza.  A long standing question is, why can't one make a New York pizza outside of the New York area.  Folks dispute what is a "legitimate" topping, and what is not.

Growing up in New York, I have a real preference for the type of pizza I enjoy.  The crust should be thin, slightly chewy.  The sauce should be thin as well, with a touch of sweetness.  Cheese must be mozzarella, full fat.  The oven should be hot and old, preferably fired by coal.  It should be topped with nothing, save perhaps fresh garlic, though pepperoni, sausage, mushrooms are all acceptable.

This, however, is personal.  The debate between NY vs. Chicago is false, they're two very different kinds of pizza.  I'll admit to enjoying a ham & pineapple slice from time to time.  Though few and far between, I've had experiences with good "NY style" pizza outside of New York.

Still, there's nothing like a New York slice.  John's (photo above), Joe's, Sal & Carmine's, Arturo's, etc. fill my belly with a little bit of heaven.  Their numbers are fading, even in NYC there are a lot of crappy "NY" slices.  Happily, pizza is in the soul of a lot of people, and the tradition will continue.

A challenge I'm presenting myself for the summer, you should try it too, is to make a great pizza.  My plan is this: pizza stone, fresh tomato sauce, good cheese, and...my grill.  Yup, I think the way to do this is outdoors.  I'll use real hardwood coal, get it hot as can be, and see what happens.  The results soon.

No comments: