Monday, July 28, 2008

Wine and the Bottle Shock Premiere


Bottle Shock premiered at Chateau Montelena yesterday.  The film is inspired by the 1976 'Judgement at Paris' wine tasting, the seminal moment that put the Napa Valley wines on the map.  I play Shenky, who, while having nothing to do with making wine, is really amusing nonetheless.

Honestly, I've always been a beer and spirits guy.  Wine had always been at the bottom of the list of what I would pick to drink.  Give me a pale ale or give me a scotch, but keep that vino away from me.  All I knew about wine was that it didn't taste all that good, and it gave me a headache.

Well, times have changed.  I've spent a lot of time around wine in the last year.  Bo Barrett, the head winemaker at Chateau Montelena, has really embraced our film.  I started to appreciate wine when we were shooting, but the moment for me really happened when Bo brought some of his favorite bottles to Sundance.  A sip into his famous Cabernet, and the light turned on.  I was able to taste plum, cherry, sunshine, and warm fuzzies.  Seriously.  Since then, I've been able to appreciate a whole variety of wine.  Now all I need is for someone to point me in the right direction.  See, all I really know is the wine I've been given at Bottle Shock events, and those are the cream of the crop.  Poor Hal B. can't afford those on his own!

You've been reading my words for a few months now.  If you want to hear me speak, check out an interview I did yesterday with Movie Geeks United.  And look for Bottle Shock in a theatre near you starting Aug 8.

No comments: