Friday, August 29, 2008

MacArthur's, or Thank You Barack Obama



I posted this review of MacArthur's in Chicago on Yelp ages ago. In honor of Barack Obama's historic nomination, I thought it would be nice to add it to This Man's Kitchen:

I think that most people who read Barack Obama's "The Audacity of Hope" take away some very important lessons on how to make themselves better people and make the world a better place. I took away the name of a restaurant. Don't get me wrong, I learned lessons and think that Obama would make a fantastic president. However, the most important thing in his book is that his favorite place to eat in Chicago is called MacArthur's. This I took very seriously.

MacArthur's is located off the beaten path, in a fairly rough neighborhood. Don't let that deter you. You'll be rewarded.

I don't mess around with my food, so take it to heart when I say this is one of the best (and inexpensive) meals I've had in my life: smothered, fork tender pork chops; golden fried chicken; stewed, spiced yams, which perfectly complimented the pork chops; and, though lacking in bread crumbs, soul-warming mac-n-cheese. This place is as close to eating a southern grandma's home cooked meal as you can get without being cooked by a southern grandma (mmm, country ham and fried corn). If you're ever anywhere near Chicago, go here. By "anywhere near," I mean anywhere. Go here, now.

For more information on the story of MacArthur's, read "The Audacity of Hope".

No comments: