Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Review: Thai Basil



Thai Basil is a tiny eatery located in downtown Capitola, CA.  If there was no sign on the outside, you'd probably just walk by, thinking that an old Thai lady was serving a few friends a meal in her living room/speciality shop.  

I really wasn't sure what was happening when my friend led me into Thai Basil.  It's a tiny place.  Five tables, I believe.  One wall is covered in various imported sauces, all available for purchase.  I assume that these sauces are the base for many of the dishes.


Speaking of dishes, it's pretty amazing that there is such a variety on the menu.  Amazing because...this place is run entirely by one woman, Tan Manichanh.  She takes your order, then walks into the kitchen an cooks it.  I suppose that's why there are only 5 tables!

The food was hot, and fantastic.  Thai peppers and coconut milk seem to be the base for just about everything, and that's alright with me.  We had a rich clear chicken soup (not clear at all- the soup was red with pepper), a sweet beef curry special, pineapple chicken, and a really interesting and intense mint noodle dish with roast pork.  My only complaint is that duck
 wasn't available to throw into another dish!  


Overall, Thai Basil is a tasty, and unique experience.  I'm looking forward to returning and jumping deeper into the menu.  One thing to take note of- be prepared to spend some time here.  Ms. Manichanh might be a great at making Thai home cooking, but, that's what you're getting, home cooking.  Nothing is fast.  She cooks each dish to order, so even if it's just your party and one other, things are going to take awhile.  It's worth the wait.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I normally hate thai food, but even I might have to check this place out!