Thursday, October 23, 2008

The Jujube: Not So Awesome


I've been exploring a variety of exotic fruits recently. Perhaps it's a reaction to the fact that I've been nearly everything I've eaten this year has been grown locally. Maybe not though- all of the exotic fruits I've tried so far have been procured from the farmers' market. So maybe it's the best of both worlds, exotic and local. I like that.

Well, unlike the passion fruit and the guava, the jujube is not awesome.

I thought maybe it would be. Last week, at the Culver City farmers' market, I noticed a few vendors had large piles of strange brown items. The looked like a cross between a chestnut and a date. Seemed worth trying, so I got a variety of them- some yellow turning brown, some deep brown and smooth, some deep brown and wrinkled.

The fruit is believed to have first been cultivated in Southern Asia, and is widely used in Chinese medicine as a treatment for stress. It is also believed to soothe sore throats.

Sadly, the flavor doesn't move me. Ripe when fully brown, and, I thought a little better when slightly wrinkled, it tastes of a dull apple. The texture is reminiscent of a sponge. With apple season upon us, you might want to skip these little brown bugaboos, and grab an heirloom apple instead.

No comments: