Sunday, March 22, 2009

Be Lazy: Frozen Brown Rice


Ever since I tried to make yogurt, I've been thinking about what is worth putting in extra effort and what is not. Generally, I try to make everything I eat from scratch- it's more satisfying, and nearly always tastes better that way. However, there are times when laziness is rewarded. Such is the case with frozen brown rice.

Brown rice isn't difficult to cook, but it does take some time- about 40 minutes. Now, if you've been reading This Man's Kitchen for awhile, you know I'm not afraid of slow cooked food. However, why take 40 minutes to do something when it can be done in 3 minutes. Three minutes. That's all it takes for frozen brown rice.

So, clearly the frozen stuff wins the time contest. What about quality? Well, I have no problems here, either. The master scientists who designed the freezing apparatus (grains look individually frozen) and the steamer bag deserve some sort of prize. I never thought I'd say this, but: Frozen microwavable rice is at least as good as the rice I'd make on my stove top. Wow. The rice is organically grown, which is a nice bonus.

You can find frozen brown rice at both Whole Foods Market and Trader Joe's. Currently, they sell for $4.69 at Whole Foods. With 6-9 servings per box, it's a pretty good deal!

The only downside- the unfortunate name of the brand sold at Whole Foods. It's called "Rice Expressions". Who was the genius that thought of that?! Lame.

In other news, there is strong evidence that First Lady Michelle Obama is a HUGE fan of This Man's Kitchen. Alice Waters spent over 20 years lobbying for a White House vegetable garden. 20 years! I write about it on a Monday, ground is broken on the garden just a few days later.

No comments: